Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer Sale 7-22

So, this should be the last day of the sale. Which is good, because while I haven't taken as large of a hit financially as I did during the last sale, I'll be happy to take a break for a while.

Buy:

Bastion - This is a must buy. A great rpg type game that I put 10 hours into. Artistic style, gameplay, all excellent, and the narrator is one of my favorite parts of the game. $3.74 today.

Bioshock - Really good first person shooter. The first one was amazing, though the second one, while it did have a lot of changes that I enjoyed such as the ability to dual wield or new big daddies to fight, just wasn't up to the same par. Still, $9.98 gets you both, and I'd recommend it.

Unknown:


Jagged Alliance - Another tactical strategy game. Honestly, I'm focused on Frozen Synapse right now, so I will pass for now, even through it is $9.99 today.

Operation Flashpoint -  Not sure about this one, but I am burned out  on modern era shooters at the momement, so I think it's a pass as well. $13.74 for two games.

SPAZ - Played this a little bit during the winter sale, as it was one of the achievement games. Build ships, make friends or enemies, and explore different solar systems. I'll probably get back around to it at some point, but I didn't put it on my "play right away" list. $2.49.

Splinter Cell - All kinds of different bundles for this one. I got a "complete" splinter cell pack a year or two ago (and it didn't include pandora tomorrow), but only played through the first two. Stealth generally isn't my style, but I was able to make it work. Though, I did sample the first 10 minutes or so of conviction, and despite all the issues with ubisoft and drm, the game looked damned cool, though a departure from it's roots. You can get four games for $11.49.

Double Fine Pack - I should probably have put this in the buy section, since it is double fine, but I haven't played these yet myself. Includes costume quest, psychonauts, and stacking, for $7.49.

Football Manager - Most definitely not my type of game. It's $7.49 as well.

Indie Bundle XI (Hydrophobia, Orion Dino Beatdown, Star Ruler, Waveform, World of Goo) - I've played world of goo a couple of times, and it's a great construction/physics sim. The rest I do not know about.

Limited Sales:

Galactic Cilizations II - Makes a reappearance, as do all the flash sales at the time of this writing, today as the community choice. $4.99.

Dead Island - $10.19.

The Witcher 2 - $15.99.

Portal 2 - $4.99.

Trine 2 - $3.74.


Well, that was an interesting sale. Not sure I like all the time limited deals. Still, I managed to get a couple games: Trine 2, Alan Wake collection, Frozen Synapse DLC, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, FEAR 3, Dear Ester, QUBE, Avadon, Vessel, Dungeons of Dredmor, The Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas complete, Krater, Botanicula, Swords and Soldiers DLC, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Penumbra: Black Plague, Zen Bound 2, and with a trade for an Orcs Must Die 2 preorder from the 2 pack, Quantum Conundrum and Puzzle Agent. Now I just need some way of finding more time so I can play all of them!





8 comments:

  1. Yeah, the time limited deals ere not something I was really that happy about. After a while I was able to figure out tue 3 or so times a day I could visit and catch evertying, but I always felt like I was going to miss something. However, that all the games stayed on sale for that extra day was really nice, in case you couldn't make it to a computer every day.

    I'll agree that the achievements added something to the other sales, and sometimes I would buy an achievement game I would otherwise probably have passed up. But I honestly wouldn't have had the time to complete anything, not to mention how some past achievements have really soured me to games with how rediculous they are compared to others, such as supper meat boy or binding of isaac from the last sale.

    Still, it was a decent sale, not as bg as the last one though. Time to look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently limited to a moblie bowser, so it is a little tricky to copy and paste things properly, but I'll try and get you the right information. First I have made a steam group were I post an announcement anytime a new review goes up. Then I'll link my profile url.

    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/monthsbehindreviews

    https://steamcommunity.com/id/tdsoys/

    With that you can take a look at what games I'm currently playing, giving you an idea of what reviews are coming up, as well as look over my games list to see if you have one you would like me to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying it very much, and am glad I picked it up. Snipers and rockets make a fun combination for hunting down shotgunners across the map. I would say more but I am growing tired of this tiny phone keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The phone I had for the last four years had a physical keyboard, and even though it was smaller than this touch screen it worked a lot better. Unfortunately I' bound to this for the next few days, and attempting to write anything of lenght is really rough, so no replies yet to some of your deeper comments, particularly our discussion of steam and drm. I had considered purchasing a keyboard prior to leaving for a few dats and not regret not having done so. The one time I tried to work on a review it took forever for only a few paragraphs. Even this message is pushing the limits of my thumbs, since I am young enough that texting and such has part of my generation's lifestyle for nearly a third of my life but old enough that I did take typing in school and generally do very well with it.

    I beat the full chronicles game but stopped playing gyromancer when i was probably 80% of the way done, though it is hard to tell with square games sometime. If you found out abiut this blog from my post on the steam forums, you might recall that I posted a list of coming reviews. I will add your suggestions on to the tail end of that list. In the mean time, I will just say that I enjoyed the games very much, but that you many not be so interested in chronicles due to its heavy action component.

    Also, added. That will give you an indication of upcomming reviews from my recently played list.

    Okay, time to go ice my thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally back at a keyboard, and with plenty to type too.

    I had just assumed that you found this blog through a post I made on the steam forums announcing that I had been working on this, because your commenting began the very next day. One of the things I posted there, and which I now realize you would never have seen, was a list of upcoming reviews - games I've completed and are just awaiting time to sit down and work on them. Here's what's coming up:

    Terraria -v?
    Swords and Soldiers HD
    Dungeon Defenders -v
    Dead Space 2
    Sequence -v
    Renegade Ops - v?
    Hard Reset -v
    Tiny Bang Story
    Bastion -v
    Anomally Warzone Earth
    Space Marine -v
    AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome - v
    Spacechem
    Capsized
    Civ 5

    Anything with a -v is something I'm planning on making a video review for, in addition to the standard written review. Added to that list would be the eventual video review for Magicka and Limbo, which I haven't gotten around to yet because of the hustle and bustle of my day job, which hasn't left the free weekends I would usually spend on video reviews, so I've just been focusing on written ones in stead.

    If you'd like to to review either chronicles of riddick or gyromancer earlier than the end of that list, just let me know. I'll just need to refresh my memory of those games, and maybe take some time to beat gyromancer, though that save file might have gotten lost with a hard drive failure. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can do, maybe sometime next week. Currently I am rewritting a Terraria review for the umpteenth time, but after that, I can dabble in the game some more to jog my memory. Are you just interested in Dark Athena, or Butcher Bay as well, because the game actually includes both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I've generally got a good memory, and remember vividly certain parts of each game, despite playing it so long ago that steam doesn't even have a last played date saved for me, but I will play through it again, so I'm all refreshed for a review. That will just take some time, since I put nearly 20 hours into the first go round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished Butcher Bay. Now on to Dark Athena. Maybe I'll have it done, as well as reviewed, by the end of this weekend. From what I remember, Dark Athena is faster paced than Butcher Bay - less dialogue, more stealth/action, so that will hopefully speed things up. I've even been getting footage for a video review.

    ReplyDelete