Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer Sale 7-15

Bit of a mixed bag today, with a couple of community choice winners (and at least one loser) making a comeback.

Buy:

Trine - I haven't tried the second yet (just got it as the community choice winner a few days ago), but I loved the first. A great platformer with puzzle elements, where you control 3 characters and use their unique abilties to progress through the level. I always hated it when my thief died. $3.74 for Trine 2, or $5 for both games.

Unknowns:
Hitman - At only $6.24, you can get three games. I of course have them, but have never played them.

The Walking Dead - Mostly heard good things about this, so if you're interested, it's $14.99 .

Serious Sam 3 - Hate cowering behind corners? Well, then you could give this one a try. At $9.99, at least you won't break the bank if you don't like it. Just check out of the videos first and see what you think about waves of streaming enemies coming at your face.

Mount & Blade - The required daily rpg. Only $8.74 for the series.

Cities XL 2012 - I'm generally not one for sims, so I haven't given this series a shot. Maybe, at $9.99, now is the time to try.

Darkness II - Heard about it from a friend, played the demo, bought it when I saw it at this price, which it has been at multiple times across multiple sales platforms. It's almost a bioshock-esque game, where you utilize some special demonic powers at your disposal, as well as wielding plenty of weapons. Has a bunch of potential, and is on my "To Play" list. Yours today for $12.49.

Saint's Row III - Another game makes a return today. Personally, I'm going to wait a while longer before diving into this, because the complete pack is still almost $25. The stand alone game is just $12.49 though.

Indie Bundle IV (A Valley Without Wind, Atom Zombie Smasher, Blocks that Matter, Sanctum, Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP) - Atom Zombie Smasher is great, had a lot of fun playing it during the Christmas contest, and have been meaning to get back to it. It's all about tactically placing your units around maps, and how you deploy them, to save as many people as possible from the Zed infection. Sanctum is another tower defense game from the first person perspective, though it feels more like you're in the Defense Grid universe than Orcs Must Die!. Not my favorite TD game, but still a good one. I can't comment on the other games, and so, as has been the case with all the bundles, I can't scream at you to go out and get it.


Limited Sales:

Legend of Grimlock - It's returned as the community choice, for the same $5.99. If you were interested and thought you missed out, you just got another chance.

Magicka - Great game, just posted a review of it. Make sure to get the complete pack, which is $7.49.

QUBE - Now I was going to buy this this morning, since $3.74  for a portal-esque puzzler isn't bad at all. However, word on the street is that the indie bundle on Wednesday will include this, as well as avadon, dungeons of dredmor, vessel, and zombie driver. Knowning that, I'm hanging off for a better deal.

Microsoft Flight - $16.99

Killing Floor - Now I've played a couple of rounds before, and know many people that just love the game. It's a survive the waves of enemies shooter. If that appeals to you, it's $4.99 for the base game, or $7.49 to get all the current character packs.


Man, when I decided to do this, I had looked at the Christmas sale where it felt like I knew most of the games that went on sale each day. Now it seems like it's nothing but games I haven't played. Hopefully as the sale goes along, I can be more help.

1 comment:

  1. Good catch on the price. I've been trying to list the franchise pack price where available, rather than the individual games. The way I wrote it here makes it look like it was $2.50 for all three. Oops.

    ReplyDelete