Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Sale 7-17

First thing first, a little observation I've made while monitoring which games on are sale - the times various deals pop up.

Now, all these times are in pacific, so adjust accordingly.

Main sale - 10 am
Community Choice Sales - Midnight, 8am, and 4pm, with voting ceasing 30 minutes prior
Flash Sales - Slots follow a rotation (uncertain of over night at the moment): Slot 1 8am - 2pm - 8am, Slot 2 8 am - 4 pm - 10 pm, Slot 3 10 am - 6 pm - 12 midnight, Slot 4 10 am - 10 pm.

Now those flash sales my really be on a 2 day rotation, i.e. what went on sale at 10 this morning will change at 8 tomorrow, and I've yet to figure it out. But, in terms of linear time, you can find a sale at these points in the day:

8 am - Two Flash Sales and a Community Choice
10 am - Two Flash Sales and the main sale
2 pm - Flash Sale
4 pm -Flash Sale and a new Community Choice
6 pm - Flash Sale
8 pm - Flash Sale
10 pm - Two Flash Sales
Midnight - Flash Sale and a new Community Choice

I'll update that later if I notice any changes as the night progresses.

Buy:

Limbo - A great indie platform/puzzle game, with a unique atmosphere to it. The only downside to it is that it is really short, taking me about 2 hours to complete. This is actually the next game I'm going to review, coincidentally. $2.49 is more than a fair price for it, even given it's short length.

Company of Heroes - Of course I mentioned this game yesterday as my favorite WWII rts, so it goes on sale today. I've only played through most of the first game, and have still managed to accumulate about 24 hours. It's a little different in that you don't really worry about unit production, usually reinforcements arrive, etc, though single player is different than multiplayer. Features like tech trees, a cover system, are all interesting additions. If you've played Dawn of War 2 or retribution, you'll see many of the similarities. It's $12.48 for the bundle, or much less for the individual ones if you've already got the base game.

Grand Theft Auto - Not any game in particular, but a classic series that everyone knows about. Not all are neccessaryily great games, but for those of you that like sandbox games, the series is only $12.48.

Indie Bundle VI (Awesome, Defcon, SpaceChem, Ticket to Ride, Trauma) - First indie pack I've recommened, and it's because of Awesome, Defcon, and SpaceChem, since I've got no experience with the other 2. Awesome is a base jump sim I guess, set in the future where buildings float. You pull off expert manuavering through tight corases, finding the best path to score the most points possible. Includes all of A Reckless Disreguard for Gravity, and it took me 12 hours to get through all the levels, except for 2 I cannot possibly do well enough on, with a 4 out of 5 or higher. Defcon is a strategy type game, where you deploy bombers, airfields, subs, etc, in the build up to a nuclear war, with a final scene that reminds you of wargames. SpaceChem is one of the best puzzlers I've ever played, and a damn hard one too. Basically, no matter how complex the problem, you're presented with the same open board each time, and it is entirely up to you to make things work, from scratch. 33 hours just to get through the main game, let alone the seemingly endless user generated content.

Pass:

Call of Duty Block Ops - I've only played the console version, and just to a point. But what I'd really like to comment on is how this game, released in November 2010, already replaced in the franchise with MW3, and soon to be replaced in the series with the upcoming sequel, is STILL $40 when not on sale! Unless you really want to play the zombie mode in multiplayer (which is the only reason to play multiplayer from everyone I've ever talked to about it), wait until the end of this year and see if it drops any lower, though I doubt you'd see it less than $15 then. Hell, it's you're money, if you really want it and can't wait, go for it, at $19.99, because that's the lowest this has ever been.

Unknown:

Spec Ops The Line - I'll admit, I am really interested in this game, what with it's Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness type storyline, seemingly dynamic environment, and many other aspects of it I've seen showcased. I am holding off however, because it's still pricey, there may be more content on the way for it, and I have plenty of other games I've picked up, including many in this sale, that can hold me over until I deem it more affordable than $33.49.

Train Simulator 2012 - If you want to get started on this, it's a whopping 90% off today, making it only $3.49. Just be aware it's one of those games where the main game is cheap, but the addons, if you bought them all, would total a huge amount of money.

Stronghold 3 Gold - Sorry, no experience with this strategy game, which is $13.59 today.

Wargame European Escalation - Strategy game set during the height of the cold war, pitting NATO against the Warsaw pact. Game looks really interesting, as a modern rts. Added to my list of games to get, but holding off for all the same reasons as Spec Ops. It's $19.99 right now.


Limited Sales

Sanctum - Good tower defense game, though I do like Orcs Must Die! a lot more. Has more of a Defense Grid feel to it, from the design of the enemies, etc. $2.49 while it lasts.


Take on Helicopters - Nothing I can say about this sim, which is $16.99.

Duke Nukem Forever - If you really, really, really, want to play it, I doubt it will get any cheaper than this, since it's been this low for the last 6+ months now. Read my review of it, because I did give it a 4 out of 10 and recommend a pass altogether, though advocated the $4.99 price tag.

Dungeon Defenders - Another tower defense game. Pretty good, though a little slow paced for me. I would rate it below Sanctum. Though be forewarned that it's a game like the railworks one, where the base game is cheap, but there are so many DLCs. Actually, the complete pack is $12.49, so I'd go that path if I were you.

Shoot Many Robots - Uh, says 4 player co-op, which is not a selling point for me. Still, if 2D side scrollers are your forte, give it a shot, and tell me if I'm missing out by passing on it at $2.49, will ya?


No comments:

Post a Comment