Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Sale 7-18

Pretty much figured out the Flash Sale rotation there yesterday, and after studying it a little more last night, I saw how one sale that started at 8 one morning would roll into one of the ones that started at 10 the following day, making it a 4 day rotation. But none of that really matters, just the part where I listed when games would come on sale, which all seems to be pretty accurate.

Buy:

Super Meat Boy - An extremely hard platformer game. And I seriously emphasize extremely. I only managed to get through 2 or three worlds (40-60 levels, plus the extreme versions of those levels) when I had a hard drive crash early last year.  Only get this if you are serious, and can handle spending a long time on any given level, because you pretty much need to have perfect execution to pull it off. Another thing to consider - the game recommends using a controller, but it is not required. $3.74 today.

Unknown:

Stalker - I've heard all good things about this action rpg, but have never gotten around to playing it myself. If you like games like fallout, this would seem to be right up your alley. $11.19 for the whole collection.

Sings of a Solar Empire - Space RTS that does look really, really good. A bit pricey at $29.99, but it is a new game. Though you may want to consider the Stardock pack, which is only $15 more, and covers 4 games total.

Carpe Fulgur - Yeah, no idea about this. Never even heard of it before. $12.43 for 3 games.

Age of Empires Online - Additional stuff for a F2P game. Probably something to get if you play, if not, why bother, even if it's $2.49.

Thief - Talk about a blast from the past with this one. I remember trying to play thief back in the day, and failing miserably because my idea of the best way to trouble shoot a problem is to find the trouble, and shoot it repeatedly. Hiding bodies, sneaking around, etc, just never worked for me. But if you are good at stealth games, i.e., splinter cell or certain playstyles in Dues Ex, it's $6.74 for the series.

L.A. Noire - Talked about this a little the other day, about how it is supposed to be a good game, but a poor port. It has fallen pretty quickly in terms of price, as it was still $50 in December, when it was 75% off at $12.50. Instead, it's only $4.99 today.

Total War - If, this far into the sale, you still find yourself in need of another strategy game, you can get the Total War series for $12.49 today.

Indie Bundle VII (Vessel, QUBE, Zombie Driver, Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor) - I ended up picking this up today, since I only had one game, and wanted the other four anyways. But, being true to principle, I won't recommend it until I've played through a couple of the games, which hasn't happened with many indie packs yet. You've got Avadon, a hard core rpg. Dungeons of Dredmor is another dungeon crawler that I figured I'd pick up, and give the genre another go, after bad experiences with binding of isaac. QUBE is supposed to be a good puzzle game, akin to portal 1, but without the glados bits. Vessel has promise as a 2d action/puzzle/platformer. Zombie driver I have, and it is interesting as a top down save people from the zombie apocalypse while killing everything from your car game, but it makes my computer whine like it is about to blow up, so I've never played it that much.

Limited Sales:

Sim City 4 - Honestly, I think the last time I played a sim city game was in 2000. I guess I'm more of a destoryer than a builder. Still, just $4.99 today.

Risen 2 - One of a couple of rpgs up today. It's $33.49.

Game of Thrones RPG - And here's another, though between you and me, I'm getting pretty sick of Westeros and George R.R. Martin in general. Why don't you stop screwing around licensing you're IP every which way you can and finish the damn series! Sorry, I'm a bit bitter after the horrible 4th book. Oh, and it's $24.99.

Dead Space - Played both of these, and I do recommend them. The first one has a much slower pace, more akin to a classic Resident Evil game. The second is a bit faster, and feels less like "enter area A, complete objectives until you reach the end of the level, then back track until the begining, so you can go to area B and repeat." The games are more of a jumpy scary than a dread/paranoia that you would get from, say, Amnesia. Mostly just crap jumping out of vents at you. $9.98 for both games, though you may want a controller for the first one, because the keyboard always felt odd there. No issues with the second though.

Terraria - It's back at the $2.49 it was the other day.

Only 4 more days to go. I actually haven't bought as much as I thought I would, but there is still time for that to change. Let's see what tomorrow holds.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know about Carpe Fulgur. I've never been hardcore enough for JRPGs, at least that's the way I've always heard them portrayed. And frankly, I'm just not that good at them. And who wants to fail all the time?

    I got avadon for android from one of the humble android bundles, but, unfortunately, you can't play it on something with a screen that small. The game just won't start. Getting it now will give me a chance to try it out.

    Game of Thrones just came out in mid May, so it is surprising that it was even on sale for 50% off. I'd wager it'll be much less if you hold off until the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete