Saturday, July 21, 2012

Summer Sale 7-21


Well, it looks like today is another day that will consist of mostly unknown games. But, here we go.

Buy:

Torchlight - It is a really solid action adventure game in the same style, though much less, um, drab, then the Diablo series. All kinds of features in there to grab your  attention, like randomized dungeons, the ability to alter your gear's attributes, pets to serve as mules, etc. You may want to get this as a warm up to 2, which is supposed to come out later this year. Until then, it's $3.74.

Dawn of War - I never played the original dawn of war games. Nor have I gotten around to retribution. Instead, my time has been spent on II, and I love that game. A squad like RTS, cover dynamics, rpg elements, loot. Yeah, I spent over 27 hours in just that one game. Today, the entire Franchise is $29.99, with various games for much, much less.

Unknown:

Prince of Persia - Like so many other games, I got this bundle a while ago, mostly because I remember wanting it when some of the earlier games came out. However, I have, surprise, yet to play it. It's $12.24 for 5 games as part of today's sale.

Fable III - This has been on sale a couple of times, and I have considered getting it, but then I look at the forums and decide it's not my type of game. If it's yours, it is $12.49 for the base game, and a couple of bucks extra if you want to pick up the additional DLCs.

ARMA II - Let's face it, this game is on sale for one reason only - Day Z. If you're interested in the realistic post zombie apocalypse game, you can pick this up for $17.99.

Arkham City  - This has been on sale before, and returns again today for $10.19.  I'll eventually give this a shot, but I think I should probably play through the Asylum first.

Evochron Mercenary - Brings to mind the X series, which I've only dabbled in. Potentially very good, but also looks so huge that there is no way I could tackle it. Today it is $6.24.

Quantum Conundrum - Now I was never clear if it was the sole creator beyond Portal that left valve and ended up doing this game, or just one of them. Either way, I've heard many good things, and just got the game myself today. Hopefully it has a bit more length than portal did, but I guess I'll find out for the $8.99 it takes to get this game today.

Indie Bundle X (All Zombies Must Die!, Beat Hazard, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Eufloria, Machinarium) - Generally, I have to be familiar with 3 games form an indie bundle to justify advising picking it up, otherwise it's cheaper to just get the games I know about. Today I'm familiar with Beat Hazard and Eufloria. Now beat Hazard is one of those games  that uses your music to generate the levels you'll play in. It is an okay game, being a space shooter like so many arcade games before it, but something that never really grabbed my attention. Eufloria is a different matter. It is really an RTS, where unit generation and so many other things depend on plant generation and planets you colonize. It's hard to explain, but a game I really liked, and got about 7 hours into, when a harddrive crash ripped it all away.

Limited Sales:

Age of Empires III - This makes a return today as the Community Choice deal. It is once again $9.99.

Payday The Heist - Makes a return appearance as well. It is $4.99.

Dear Ester - You get another shot at this piece of art for $2.49 today.

Serious Sam 3 BFE - Back as well, for $9.99.

Sandbox Universe - For those of you that would like to recreate the universe as you see fit. Want to delete the sun? Or add a second star to our solar system? Pretty much whatever you want to do, you can. Not your traditional game, but it can be a fun experience if you have the right motivation. It's $2.49 today.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with posting here. In fact, I do appreciate it very much. I honestly hadn't planned on going too public with it just yet, since I've still got a long way to go to build up a decent collection of reviews, but with the advent of the summer sale I felt I should do something, though I will say I'm surprised by just how many games have gone on sale that I've had no experience with, compared to previous sales where it seemed I knew everything.

    Things will slow down now though, since I won't be posting every day, but I'll still be trying to knock out a review or 3 a week, at least until I run through my list of recently beaten games. Then I've got another list of games I'd like to get through (added to with this sale), and potentially I'll even take some requests after that. So if you like what I've done so far, check back often, because I'd like to keep doing this, and see the project grow bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete