Thursday, July 12, 2012

Steam Summer Sale Begins!

I would say, "Hell, it's about time." but I think when DNF was actually released, it killed that for me.

Anyways, as the title says, the summer sale has started, running now until the 22nd, meaning there are 11 days that I get to watch my bank account dwindle rapidly.

Now if you've read through some of my past reviews, you'll notice I usually cite steam sale prices for the games I buy, and I generally stock up during the big sales like this, during thanksgiving, and the Christmas sale. So I figured to add a little life to this blog, since "real life" has been stealing what time I've generally had to write, edit, and publish reviews, I'd cover some steam news around this sale, pointing out bargains to keep an eye out for, or things to jump on right away, or even those you should avoid like the plague.

I should note that this sale includes some special elements, specifically the option to vote over an 8 hour period for which one of three different games should be on sale, and flash sales, that last for only a few hours. As such, I won't be able to cover 100% of it, but will try and include those extra deals as much as possible.

So, here's what's up today:

Buy:

Terraria - an upcoming review for this one will reveal that the open-world-build-what-you-want-rpg-esc game gets at 10/10 from me, soaking up 50 hours for only $2.50. Though I would advise if you're not a fan of a game where you have to decide what the point in playing is, you should probably pass this one over.

Portal/Portal 2 - I've got some reservations about 2, which isn't nearly as good as 1 from a puzzle perspective, but none the less is a pretty enjoyable experience. At $6.24 for both, it's a must buy. (I will post the portal 2 review a little later tonight, it's been in editing for a while now)

Pass:

Modern Warfare 3 - I've covered this one already, but you may want to consider it only if you're interested despite what I have to say, because I don't think I've ever seen a COD game go for less than this in the last two years.

Unknown:

Lots of games here I haven't played yet, so you'll just have to take a risk.

Total War Shogun 2 - $7.50 
Ridge Racer Unbound - $24.99
Might and Magic Heroes VI - $24.99
Legend of Grimrock - $5.99
Indie Bundle 1 - $9.99
Crusader Kings II - $9.99

I would take a hard look at Legend of Grimrock, a rogue like dungeon crawler that I've heard good things about, and the Indie Bundle 1, which includes Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Cave Story+, EDGE, Lone Survivor, and The Baconing. Oddly enough, I've already got everything in that bundle but The Baconing, but haven't played anything but Anomaly.

Special Sales

Saints Row 3 at $12.49 is the voted deal for the next few hours, one I'm debating picking up, after it beat out The Witcher 2 and Batman Arkham City earlier today. Don't forget to vote for the next deal, a choice between Limbo, Trine 2, and Magicka. Between you and me, I went with Trine 2, because it's the only one of those I haven't picked up already, and Magicka is always on sale.

Back to the Future The Game, Spacechem, Warlock Master of the Arcane, and Rayman Origins are the flash sales as of this posting, though not for much longer in most cases. I've completed Spacechem, an incredible puzzle game that, when I get around to it, I'll give a 10 and point out that 33 hours of fun/struggle is a hell of a deal for $2.49.

Well, that wraps it up for now. Keep an eye on this, because there are going to be a lot of good deals this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment