Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer Sale 7-20

Not such a financial hit for me today, since I already have most of the games, and pretty much everything on today's list has already been on sale.

Buy:

Magicka - On sale again. Read my view if you'd like more. Just make sure to the collection for $7.49, since it includes all the current DLCs.

Dungeon Defenders - Think this was on sale at the same time as Magicka. A good game, but a little slow for my taste. It does suffer from way too many DLCs syndrome. It's $12.49 for the collection.

Civilization - Same pack that was on sale earlier. The collection is $24.99, and if you just want Civ 5, get the game of the year version for half that.

Deus Ex - Need I say more? You can get the collection for $14.99, which I think is less than I paid for just Human Revolution.

Unknown:

Fear - Up again. The collection is $13.50.

Driver San Francisco - $7.49, and there is a Deluxe Edition for just a bit more.

Red Orchestra - Undecided on if I'll go for it or not, but the Franchise Pack is $8.74.

Crysis - Now while the first one was all the rage there for a while, I haven't heard anything good about the second one. The whole collection is $17.49.


Indie Bundle IX (Capsized, Jamestown, Revenge of the Titans, VVVVVV, Zeno Clash) - Capsized is a great 2D platform shooter, set on an alien world with lots of bad guys and bugs to shoot. Jamestown is a top down shooter that takes place on Mars, but incorporates early American history, and has been really good from what I've played. The rest are greek to me.

Limited Sales:

Risen - The other day  Risen 2 was on sale. Now you can get the first one as the Community Choice, at least for a little while longer. It's $4.99. I will say however, that they should have flipped the order of that sale.

Farcry - Complete pack is $4.98.

Tales of Monkey Island - Different from The Secret of Monkey Island, this one is $8.74 for the complete pack.

Burnout Paradise - I did like this game, and do recommend it. However, there are some issues. It played a lot better with a 360 controller than it did on a keyboard (curse you joysticks!), but I can't speak about a wheel. Second, it seems EA killed the online store shortly after it went on sale a year and half ago or so, so I don't know if there is anyway to get that content. I just know the last time I tried to connect online with it, I kept getting errors. If you'd rather, there are also three need for speed games in the same sale, all ranging from $4.99 to $2.49.

Braid - An excellent platformer. As the game progresses, you get special abilities. First you can rewind time, then later you get a ghost that executes your last timeline, so you can pull two switches by yourself. It gets challenging, but I wholeheartedly recommend it. Took about 3 hours, and today it's $2.49.

It'll be interesting to see what is on sale for the last two days. Do you have anything in particular you'd like to see?

3 comments:

  1. I agree on paying more for quality, or to support smaller devs. Unforunately it just seems so many games offer much less than games from a decade ago, especially since they can always DLC more stuff in. Using Fallout 3 as an example, if you had purchased everything at full price, it would be $100 for the game and the 5 DLCs, and that is a lot of money, no matter how you cut it.

    At the top of the steam page it does say through July 22nd. So I guess today could be the last day new games are posted, but I assumed that a final set of games would go on sale the 22nd, and then it would wrap up on the 23rd. I've also seen a list of all the indie bundles, and it had 11 on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about it earlier today. Wasn't Ys: The Oath in Felghana on sale a few times already? I was thinking you might have missed out on that deal, and then I saw the current community choice featured Ys, so I went ahead and voted for it. Later I looked, and realized it was Origins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have sworn it was an early flash sale, but I could be wrong. However, I did double check, and it was part of Indie Bundle V, along with Audio Surf, Gemini Rue, Greed Corp, and the Tiny Bang Story.

    ReplyDelete