Monday, November 26, 2012

Steam Autumn Sale 11-26

So this looks like the end of the sale. I know I waffled on that a bit yesterday, uncertain of what would happen, but now I'm looking at the most recent flash sale, which hit at 2 pm pacific today, and see that it's not set to expire until 10 tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure that means we're done.

Main Sale:

Counter Strike Global Offensive - The latest version of the ground breaking online FPS. Personally, I never got the whole CS thing - I loved Team Fortress Classic too damn much to give any of Valve's other games a go. But at $7.49, you can try the whole create your own class, plant bombs, rescue hostages, play terrorists game.

Call of Duty MW3 - Or, if you just want to do most of that same stuff, but not have to deal with the issues of one life per round, etc, you could play this. Now, a few things about this game. First, it has been reviewed (List of Reviews up top), and I decided it was really just an average game. I did try the mutliplayer as well, but stopped because 1 out of three games or so would have someone using an auto headshot hack that killed the experience, which, considering it is a CoD game, didn't amount to much more than simply respawning, gunning down 1 to two people, and then dying. I don't recommend getting this game at this price, but if you want it, it's not likely to go any lower any time soon, at least on Steam. It's half off at $29.99.

Alan Wake Franchise -  Think I got this one on a flash sale during this year's summer sale, but I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know what to say. The whole thing is $9.99.

Castle Crashers - I'm not familiar with this one, truth be told. I suppose I could do some research for my personal benefit to find how it plays if I wanted to try it solo, or if you do really need four other people to play it. Anyways, it's $4.99 today.

Legend of Grimrock - A game that I haven't heard much about, but it was all good. Not sure how that actually works. Anyways, it's supposed to be a great dungeon crawler, and while I didn't pick it up during the Summer sale when it was 40% off, I'll be getting it today at $3.74, because it is highly unlikely to go lower.

The Witcher 2 - I haven't played this one, but I'm going to highly recommend it anyways. Why? Because I started playing the first Witcher, which is also 75% off, earlier this past weekend. I've already put in over 30 hours into this unique RPG, and I'm maybe half way through it, and I know that when I get around to reviewing it, it's going to be a 10/10, because it's that good. Speaking from the point of view of the first one, the game is much more about strategy - planning how to attack your enemies. You must have knowledge of the monsters you're fighting to understand their weaknesses, as well as what useful drops they have. Battles aren't won so much by the combat, as they are in the preparations leading up to the event, such as brewing the proper potions to increase your energy or health regeneration. You make your own bombs, or oils to coat your weapons with to do extra damage to certain types of enemies. Then there is a complicated system of decision making. An early decision forces you to choose between giving some supplies to a starving unit of non-human rebels, or leaving them to their own devices. I thought I would have pity on them, and 4 hours later I find out that they murdered someone with some of those supplies - someone I had planned on turning a quest into. No way, besides cheating, that I could have forseen that outcome. So considering you can get both games for $10, or just #2 for $7.49, this is a must buy.


Flash Sales:

Grand Theft Auto IV - $7.49
Crusader Kings II Collection - $12.49
Tropico 4 - $5.99
Bastion - $3.74 (reviewed)
Just Cause 2 - $3.74
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - $19.99

Also, indie titles, which you might want to check out since this will be your last chance (from all appearances) of this sale).

***

So, now that the sale seems to be over, what do you think? I did like that the flash sales where much longer, lasting 12 hours each go, since during the summer the short flash sales and community choice items rotating so frequently didn't allow me to spend much time away from my phone or a computer.

Did you get anything interesting? What was your favorite deal? Were you disappointed that something else wasn't on sale, or that one offer wasn't what you were hoping for?

Personally, I didn't get too much this time. Just some DLCs for Orcs Must Die! 2 and Quantum Conundrum, ColourBind, Mutant Blobs Attack, all the Sniper Elite stuff, and Legend of Grimrock, keeping my total purchase quite low compared to normal. Sure, there were other games I wanted, mainly Dishonored, XCom, and Borderlands, but those have DLCs coming or can just generally wait, as well as some other titles that might drop a bit more during the next sale. So I would say it's maybe a good sale, but not great. I definitely have some extra cash in my wallet, which is a huge surprise after one of these things, so I guess in that sense it's not the best sale ever, but with the Winter Sale coming, that's not a bad thing.

Oh well, time to get back to the reviews. Currently my buffer is a bit smaller than it has been, and you can expect to see the following games reviewed soon, after witch I'll have to play through a couple more so I have more content for you guys, though, thanks to a suggestion from Rand/PoetryinMotion, I'm in the middle of a huge RPG, so if the reviews dry up a bit, you know who to blame:

Gyromancer
Amnesia
A Virus Named TOM
The Darkness II
Alien Breed: Impact
Rock of Ages
+ assorted video reviews

If you've got a game you'd like me to review, just check my steam profile to see what I've got, and just maybe I can cover it for you before the next time it's on sale, because sometimes that great deal still isn't worth it.

My Steam List of Games

No comments:

Post a Comment