Sunday, November 25, 2012

Steam Autumn Sale 11-25

So in the upper right of the Steam store page it says new titles every day through tomorrow. Does that mean that these titles below, which won't expire until the 27th, are the last bunch, or will some new ones, or just the Best Of, pop up again tomorrow. I am not actually sure, and am afraid this might be goodbye. At least for a month or so, until the Winter Sale starts, though last year there was this whole half sale thing that went on for the majority of December...anyways, you're just here to hear what I have to say about the games.

Main Sale:

Dishonored - Similar to Borderlands 2 and XCOM, Dishonored takes a pretty good price cut today - 50% off. I will say I am a bit supprised it dropped so low, but I can't say that's a bad thing. So if you want a game where you can play all stealth like or just slaughter enemies with everything from rat plagues to possessing them into getting shot by their buddies, this is for you. The only thing to consider is if it might be included in a Bethesda pack during the Winter Sale, where you could conceivably get this, Skyrim, and maybe some Fallout titles for less as a group...decisions decisions. $29.99.

Civilization V - 75% off today, including all the DLCs, namely God and Kings. I won't say too much about this one, since I've already reviewed it (List of Reviews up top), but it's the same price I paid when I got it back in March or May. I am a bit tempted to try the God and Kings expansion/DLC, but really, after my experience with the rest of the game, I think it would just be the best if I passed.

Orcs Must Die! 2 - I preordered this game during the tail end of the Summer Sale, knowing full well that this game would probably come up on sale a few times at the end of the year. I thought the original was such a great game that it deserved more financial support that it had previously recieved from me, so I paid more than triple what it is today. While I haven't gotten around to playing OMD! 2 yet, I did do a video and written review for the first one, to give you and idea of what the gameplay in this interesting take on tower defense is like. I know there are changes in this game, the two largest being the addition of coop, and the other concerning the way the upgrade system is handled. The discount also impacts the DLCs and soundtrack, all of which I've already scooped up this morning. $3.74 for the base game.

Batman Arkham City GOTY - Oh my. At $7.49, this is probably the game I've had to think about the most. I think, given my personal situation, I'll be safe in passing - I've got a few games that require a lot of time to play, specifically The Witcher, which I've already put 26 hours into and I'm less than halfway through it, so I won't miss much if I wait until the Winter Sale, where it will either (hopefully) be the same price, or potentially less.

Torchlight II - I haven't tried the second yet, having only put some time into the first. The best way to describe that game (the first) is Diablo-esque, due to it's isometric top down look, and the fact that you're delving into the caves/mines/etc underneath a town. It was a good game, something I could tell from my limited time in it, and I would suggest this one if you're into that genre (or just feed up with Blizzard's handling of D3). $9.99 today.

Sonic Generations - Sorry, I never played sonic back in the day, as Sega was a four letter word in my household. Well, technically it's a four letter word in anyone's household, but what I'm trying to get at is that we were Nintendo people, and as such, I don't maintain any sentimental affection for the games like I do Mario, Zelda, or Metroid, that might get me to buy something that is otherwise so different than what I normally enjoy. $7.49 today.


Flash Sales:

Metro 2033 - $4.99
Bioshock 2 - $4.99
Doom 3 BFG - $14.99
Quantum Conundrum - $3.74
Lone Survivor - $4.99
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition - $8.99


Then of course there are your featured indie games, where there has been about a game a day that I've gotten around to reviewing. Today that would be the annoying-to-type-out-in-full-length AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!...for the Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Nintendo's games are brilliant. Ninty's own first party games are pretty much the only reason I have even the slightest interest in consoles.

    I always end up picking up Nintendo's old console when they release a new one and it gets super cheap used.

    Bought a GameCube for $20 when the Wii hit, bought a Wii for $50 when WiiU hit then grab the obligatory Ninty hits like Mario and such for the people that are desperate to sell of their used games and your good to ignore consoles for another half decade or so before another round of Nintendo Collectathon at budget prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only consoles I've ever owned were all Nintendo's, and as such I've come to love their franchises, but also missed out on others' like Sonic, or Crash Bandicoot (who was totally thrown under the bus in favor of that God of War guy).

      The last two systems I got at launch, the Wii and the GameCube, but that also coincided with the time when I switched more to the PC, and I've been putting less and less time into each system. I actually got a great game for the Wii last Christmas, the latest Zelda game, and it's still shrink wrapped. So, make you're own joke about not playing with my Wii enough.

      WiiU has some interesting titles to start with, and I'm almost tempted, but I think it would be far better to hold off until it's a bit less or the titles firm up. I don't know if I'll ever get it actually.

      Oddly enough, the most popular console I've ever had was the N64. It's still hooked up to my tv. During cold winter weekends, a day of wings, football, and the original Mario Party make for some great times, except when that jerk you thought was your friend steals one of your stars.

      Delete