Friday, June 27, 2014

Steam Summer Sale 6-27-14

Another day where I wasn't able to get anything done ahead of time, so I'll have to pound this out. The good news is there aren't too many days left, so I'll have less rushing home to post the sales. Maybe in the future I'll just post the main items, and have a running list of everything else. Food for thought.

Main Sale

Deus Ex - One of those games I've been told, and keep telling everyone, you should get. I bought it a while back, but just haven't had the time. Note that all three games in the series are on sale, from $1.74 to $4.99. Frankly, the $4.99 for the Director's Cut of HR is a great deal, though I don't know if it's worth it if you have the regular edition with all the DLCs.

Assetto Corsa - It's $19.99.

Space Engineers - Today's sandbox early access game. This one has come up on sale during the last few events. It's $13.39 today.

Grand Theft Auto 4 - I put several hours into the game, but found it couldn't hold my interest for long. It's not the game type or anything (I've finished a few others similar to this, most recently Sleeping Dogs) but just more that the game felt kind of "meh." However, if you are inclined to pick it up, I would note that today's $5.99 with the more complete pack is a heck of a deal.

Age of Mythology - The updated version of this RTS is $17.99.



Wargame - Assuming you'd rather your RTS playing is a bit more rooted in reality than the previous title, this series is on sale today, ranging from $3.39 to $23.99. That does mark a low point for the first game, one that I've been meaning to play for quite a while now.




Payday 2 - Like GTA4, I put a couple of hours into this game until it lost my interest. While it's an interesting blend of 4 player coop games (i.e., Left 4 Dead) with 4 different classes and interesting RPG like progression, I felt that a) the game sucks without 4 people (we would use 3, and we were always short because the AI is terribad) b) while certain missions, particularly a 3 day mission that has you break into a Senator's vault completely undetected to grab millions in gold are awesome, the majority were simple missions that weren't enjoyable, and c) it felt like the only way to really succeed was to already have max level skills, because picking the locks on 100 safe deposit boxes while trying to convince the cops that everything is good at the bank you're stealing from just takes too damn long. Again, one of those games where it's only worth it with a few other players of comparable skill and dedication. It's $5.99.


Tropico 4 - This his an all time low at $2.99 today. The bundle is a bit more at $5.99.

Transitor - A game I've been waiting for a while, because it's from the makers of Bastion and it looks pretty cool. Also, it sounds like it'll have an awesome soundtrack. Unfortunately it's a bit much as $14.99.


Flash Sale

Alan Wake - Reviewed! I've played the first one, and found it was an okay game at best. Certainly a case of one of those games where you can play it if you have nothing else to do. I'd also point out the price tag, $5.99 for the franchise, is more than it has been in the past.

F1 2013 - More raching today at $12.49.

Octodad Dadliest Catch - When I originally saw this on Greenlight, I thought "WTF?". I've heard it's supposed to be good, but I'll wait until it's in a humble bundle or something, because it just looks too much like the whole thing is a joke. It's $5.09.

Reus - An interesting strategy that I just started playing a few nights back. You get to control 4 giants who can do things like plant trees, make mineral mines, create oceans and mountains, etc. Towns pop up, and you need to guide the towns by carefully controlling what they have access too. Most of the game is spent carefully balancing what resources you make available, upgrading them by combining them with the abilities from other giants, and taking advantage of adjacency bonuses. As you complete major projects you'll again access to ambassadors, which are equiped by giants to unlock more abilities. The game blocks your progress by locking away access to more potent resource upgrades until you complete a set number of challenges. It's an interesting game that I feel like I need to spend a lot of time in a wiki to full understand how everything plays together, but can recommend it at $2.49.


*And right about now I'm running out of time, oh my.*


Community Choice

Age of Empires II - $4.99

FEAR - $2.49

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 - $3.39

System Shock 2 - All time low of $1.49.

I swear Long Live the Queen was in there earlier today too.


And in case you missed it: Crusader Kings II for $7.99, Trine 2 for $1.99, Alice Madness Returns for $4.99, Strike Vector for $2.99, Borderlands 2 for $6.59, Farcry 3 Blood Dragon for $3.74, Saints Row IV for $9.99, Goat Simulator for $5.99, Ace of Spades for $2.99, Watch_Dogs for $47.99, Prototype 2 for $9.99, Long Live the Queen for $2.49, Sleeping Dogs for $3.99. L.A. Noire for $4.99, Skyrim for $4.99, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning for $4.99.

***

Alright, so that's all I've got for you today. I'd only really recommend Reus, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. The other games I've played are all the kind that you can get (they are good deals), but I'd advise that only if you don't have something more interesting to play.

4 comments:

  1. I've looked into the DC of Deus Ex a couple times and each time the forum and reviews were packed full of warnings to stick with the original release and DLC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I did a quick search, and it's not even on Steam anymore. It was DC or nothing, which is kind of disappointing. However, weren't they supposed to have fixed the boss fights, which were really screwy because they were outsourced and the only way to really beat them was combat, which negated the whole choose your own path aspect of the game?

      Delete
  2. I think so yeah, apparently it's now really buggy with significant visual downgrades though and some smaller stuff chopped out.
    I haven't read into it heavily but it's apparently based largely off the WiiU version and very poorly ported over to PC, with anything that used the tablet controller thingy being omitted entirely in the PC port which caused some feature loss from the original.

    It's a pity, a fixed boss fight Deus Ex without any of he apparent issues in this version sounds appealing but.... oh well :/

    Do you have Deus Ex HR?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porting over a title that was already on PC...well, talk about going from bad to worse. When I heard about the limited options in boss fights I was extremely disappointed, because that completely flies in the face of the idea of a game where you can play it any way you want. However, if you want to develop a game your way, maybe you shouldn't outsource significant content either.

      I do have it, and like FTL is for you, it's been installed for about a year, just haven't gotten around to playing it. It is on a rather long list of games that I have that have been on sale since last year that I should play in order to be prepared for the next sale, but so far that hasn't happened.

      Delete