Saturday, June 21, 2014

Steam Summer Sale 6-21-14

Another day, another set of deals. Like the previous two, this one also heavily features zombie games. Perhaps I can use that as an excuse for not reviewing as many games lately - the only thing being developed are zombie survival games. Anyways, back to the sale

Main Sale

Skyrim - Alright, so over 2 years after it came out, the Legendary Edition, which features all the DLC, has dropped to an acceptable $13.59. That's...not bad. The base game is only $4.99, but then you'd have to shell out another $22.47 for the DLC packs. Must suck if you already bought the base game and only need the DLC.

7 Days to Die - Early access, survival, zombies, etc. $13.74.

Dragon Age Origins - A solid fantasy RPG by the folks over at Bioware. If you're familiar with the way their other games, like Mass Effect, work, then you've got the idea of how this one plays. Assemble a party of followers, try and keep them all happy enough to keep fighting for you,  all the while the moral choices you make change the outcome, usually by pissing people off. One of my favorite is the choice to unlock blood magic, which involves bartering away a child's life to a demon. I distinctly remember telling a friend about how I was upset about making that decision, and then he pointed out it must not have been that bad, because I was pretty happy with my blood magic abilities. Anyways,  it's $7.49 for the ultimate edition, which includes an expansion pack. I had put over 80 hours into the base game, so I say that's more than worth it.

Contagion - Hey, look, it's another coop zombie survival horror game. This one is $4.99.

Terraria - Reviewed! This one I 100% recommend, especially since it's at an all time low of $1.99. Really hard to beat that in such a massive, yet deceptively simple game.

Project Zomboid - Hey, look, it's a zombie survival game. Actually, this one I'm a but more interested in, largely because it seems to consist of a bit more depth than the standard game, plus, I've been reading about it for a year or so now. It's still early access though, which means it's too early, and too much, for me to take a look into it. $10.04 today.

Wasteland 2 - Turn based strategy game in the vein of XCOM, though the RPG aspect of things looks to be a lot deeper. Potentially an interesting game, but, unfortunately, it's early access and $40.19.

Age of Empires II -  A classic RTS that's been revamped. You'll probably see some of the other Age of Empires up for sale as well. This one is $4.99.

The Stanley Parable - I still haven't gotten around to trying this one, but have heard good things, including from those that played the original mod. More a commentary then a typical game, it does come with a demo to give you a taste. It's $5.99 today.


Flash Sales

Duck Tales - Another classic game that's been updated for the modern age. Actually, it's kind of funny how many memories the theme music brings up. Anyways, it's $5.09.

Rocksmith - A guitar teaching game/software. Yeah, not really sure how to classify this one. You'll also need a guitar and a special cable. So...good luck with that. It's $14.99.

Van Helsing II - I've played a bit of the first one (just the demo, bought the full game, then warframe happened). Seems like a fun ARPG game in the more serious fashion of Diablo. The sequel is $10.04, while the original is $7.49.

Nosgoth - Hadn't ever heard of this one before, but it's an asymmetrical multiplayer combat game, with humans fighting vampires. Also, it's early access and  ranges from $4.99 to $149.99.


Community Choice

Papers, Please - Just in case you missed it yesterday, it's back today for $2.99.

Banished -An intriguing city building game that's focused on a time prior to the agricultural revolution. While things like Sim City and Anno 2070 may have the current or future locked down, this one locks backwards. Possibly a good game. It's $9.99.

The Sims - Everyone knows about this game, so I won't waste your time. Available for $6.79, with 19 DLCs that will cost you another $146.01 to get.

Surgeon Simulator - A surprisingly fun and frustrating game where you control a single hand (individual fingers, raise/lower, etc.). I got pretty far in this game, but got stumped during the space surgeries, mostly because I'd have the heart I need to transplant into the patient slowly float of screen. Anyways, I highly recommend this at $2.49.


And in case you missed it, Halo Spartan Assault for $2.49, Planet Explorers for $14.99, Papers, Please for $2.99, Risk of Rain for $2.49, Master Reboot for $2.99, Frozen Synapse for $4.99, Shadowrun Returns for $3.74, Eye Divine Cybermancy for $0.99, Killing Floor for $4.99, Payday 2 for $5.99, Painkiller Hell & Damnation for $4.99, Metal Slug 3 for $2.71, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag for $19.99, Bioshock Infinite for $7.49, Grid 2 for $7.49, and Warlock II The Exiled for $14.99.


***

So, those are the choices today. Much better than yesterday, though that one had set the bar rather low. I would still like to see fewer zombie games, cause, you know, having seen 7 or so in 2 days seems a little excessive. Winners today would be Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Terraria, though I'd go into the flash/community choices to grab Surgeon Simulator and possibly Papers, Please.

Until tomorrow! 

4 comments:

  1. Duck Tales was an enjoyable game.
    Wasteland stands high in my wishlist, but I'm not even looking at it until it's finished.
    Need less early access, more finished games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with that. While there are some early access titles I'm interested in, such as Prison Architect and Project Zomboid, I want to see them when they are all done so I can have a (hopefully) unblemished experience, as well as play the whole time with all the features added in. Plus, with the recent string of early access games that have stopped development, I'd rather not risk my hard earned cash on something that may never be finished.

      Delete
  2. I like these steam sale roundup posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I had more to say! It seems like when I started doing these, I had played/reviewed at least half the games up there (to be fair, there used to only be 6 games on sale at a time too). I think it's been a combination of me playing less games (being more social in life, plus moving to a desk job where I spend all day in front of the computer kind of diminishes the desire to do more of that when you get home), the sales not being as good as they used to, and the recent releases not being as tempting as before :(

      Delete