Thursday, June 19, 2014

Steam Summer Sale 6-19-14

Well well well, it seems it's sale time again. I swear that came sooner than last year, which, admittedly, came about a month later than usual. I'm going to be doing the same old, same old on my end, despite not having played very much in the way of new games lately, large in part to my most recently reviewed game, Warframe, which also launched a special event today that I imagine will take up a good chuck of my time.

So, this sale is pretty much the format that we've come to expect, what with the main sale, flash sales, and a community choice, as well as cards and badges because it's something Valve can make  money off of. One little twist is the change to the community choice, which now has you selecting a group of games, rather than a single title. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Main Sale

Day Z - This is the stand alone game that is currently in early access, which explains why it's only 15% off today, at $25.49. I'm not a fan of these survivalist multiplayer titles, where all of your progress can be undone by some jerk that gets more kicks out of using a helicopter to terrorize new players. Yes, yes, hell is other people, I get it. Still, not one for me.

Dead Rising 3 - I've actually had the chance to see this game in action, though it was on Xbox One. Just kind of an over the top zombie survival game, that feels like its Saints Row meets Dead Island. It may be interesting to build some of the crazy weapons (there is one that uses a megaphone for AoE blast back, and other, less mature, options), but the preorder price tag of $37.49 is a little much.

Don't Starve - Because we're seeing a trend of games where you must survive some horrible situation. I've been told this one is quite good, which is why I picked it up during the winter sale when a glitch had it at $1. It's $3.74, today, and I can't say more because, well, Warframe.

The Witcher - Reviewed! Well, for the first one anyway, which is $1.99. The sequel is $3.99 today. I highly recommend both games, for the massive RPG with "choices that matter" (TM). Seriously, go watch my 20 minute video review of the first to see what I loved about it, and then pick it up at this all time low price.

XCOM Enemy Unknown - A solid game that I've been meaning to review for about a year now. The game does have issues (the camera is bad, it gets to be a bit repetative as you're grinding away upgrades, there is a distinct lack of level diversity, etc.) but even with them I can recommend the base game. Purchasing options come in several flavors, from the stand alone game ($7.49), to including The Bureau: Declassified ($8.49), to a pack that has the recent expansion ($16.49).

Farcry - I never really liked the original, and couldn't get more than 2 minutes in the second game, so I've not played this one (though a friend does owe me $9.99, which is the price of the deluxe edition, so maybe I'll give it a shot shortly). The base game is $7.49, and you can pick up the franchise for $14.79.  You can also get the stand alone sci fi blood dragon for $3.74.

Democracy 3 - That one would be $8.49 today. Sorry, I'm not a simulation gamer, so I haven't touched this one.

Sins of  a Solar Empire Rebellion - From what I hear, it's a pretty massive RTS. What I do know though, is that the $7.99 price tag is the lowest I've seen for it.

Divinity: Original Sin - Today's other early access game. This one comes in a variety of packs that range from $31.99 to $55.99. I will say that charging for a DLC pack for an early access game is an interesting marketing ploy though.


Flash Sales

 Dead Island Riptide - Note that the 75% discount applies to the whole franchise, so you can get both the original and this for $4.99 each. Or, go with the pack for $8.74. I can't really recommend it though, mostly because I've seen too many people I know start this game thinking it was going to be great, only for it to greatly disappoint them shortly thereafter.

DMC Devil May Cry - $12.49 today.

Hotline Miami - Reviewed! This is the lowest I've seen it at $1.49. If you don't have it, I'd say the retro rampage game where you turn killing into an interesting ballet is well worth it.

Mirror's Edge - A game I played years ago, but haven't gone back to review. It's an okay game centered around parkour and only a bit of hand to hand combat (you can disarm people and use their weapon, but that's not really the point). It's an interesting, and frankly quite different, game that you should probably play. $4.99 is the lowest I've ever seen it, so it's not a bad deal.

Community Choice

Because I'm actually on top of things, there aren't any right now!


***

Okay, that's it for now. I for one am trying to cut back on my spending over all / make more money, so I'm not sure how much I'll actually buy this sale. Frankly, I've been doing less during the last few sales anyways. Still, if you gave me unlimited funds, I'd a) love you, and b) pick up a handful of today's choices. Both Witcher games are a must (I'm actually reading the series now), as well as Hotline Miami. XCOM would be third, and after that I'd consider Don't Starve, Farcry (especially Blood Dragon), and maybe Mirror's Edge.

Alright, until tomorrow!




2 comments:

  1. How are the Witcher books? Worth looking into?

    I bought Chuck's Challenge 3D for myself. Aside from that I expect most all my money spent will be on gifts. Not really feeling the need for anything. Only game I really wanted was Divinity: Original Sin... and that already landed as an incoming gift. So yay me.

    The XCom expansion pack is worthwhile imo. Haven't dived too far into it yet, but I liked what I saw

    Witcher, XCom and Divinity make for a pretty fantastic day one. I don't expect future days to match it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of what I've read so far, the books are pretty good, though sometimes the translation from polish to english seems a little wonky. I've completed the short story collection, which establishes Geralt (the first story is how he defeats the striga, seen in the opening movie to the first game). Then there are 3 more books that tell Geralt's story, and I'm on the first of those.

    Out of today's offerings I think I'll pick up Far Cry Blood Dragon, because I've heard good things. A friend might get me Far Cry 3 as payback for a game I bought him during the last sale, not sure. I only have a few games left on my wishlist any more, in large part because 2013 sucked for gaming, so I don't see myself getting much of anything, especially since sales seem to consist largely of early access games now.

    ReplyDelete