Thursday, June 26, 2014

Steam Summer Sale 6-26-14

I didn't get around to this one until pretty late today (I've been sneaky and usually have managed to write at least a portion earlier in the day), so I'll *try* and  be brief.

Main Sale

Civilization V - Reviewed! Frankly, I felt like this 4X strategy game was lacking in several aspects back when I played it. Since then a few expansion packs have come out that look like they added some further depth to the game, but I was so burned by the base that I'm not interested in going back. The base game is $7.49, but you'd really want the complete pack for $16.49. That is, assuming you really wanted Civ 5.

Train Simulator 2014 - Every time this game comes up I wonder who buys it. I mean, I totally find model trains cool and everything (yeah, I'm that kind of nerd), but buying the game for $8.24 - $15.99 and then shelling out up to $1698.39 for the 174 pieces of DLC strikes me as a bit much.

Assassin's Creed - Reviewed! This is one of those series that just keeps going. I've played the first and second, and reviewed both, as well as the multiplayer in Brotherhood. I can recommend the 2nd, but wasn't really a fan of the first. Most titles in the 8 titlte series are $4.99 - $7.49, while the latest is $19.99.

Banished - This one was previously a short term sale item, and while it looks like an interesting game, taking city building to the past, I'm holding off at $9.99.

Left 4 Dead - I was a big fan of the original, but not so much the second (there is about a 100 hour play time difference between the titles for me). What made the game shine so much for me isn't the single player (that's bad), or the coop modes, but the 4 vs. 4 mode where two teams take turns trying to survive and trying to kill the survivors. Yeah, it's actually a fun game, but it's the people you play with that make it fun, which is why I stopped playing when everyone else I knew did too. It's $4.99 for each game individual or $7.49 for the pack. Not a bad buy, but not somehting I'd kill myself over, especially since it's up for this price every sale.

Total War - Most Total War titles are on sale for 50% off (there are far too many to list), and come in one of several packages. The bigger discount is for Total War Rome II, which is 66% off, making it still $20.37 today.

Europa Universalis IV - Just in case the Total War series of strategy doesn't do it for you, you can go this route instead. It's either $9.99 or $11.24, depending on the version you buy.

Dishonored - I've put several hours into this game, but never got around to finishing it, mostly because it's pretty meh and much narrow in options than it would lead you to believe. Yes, you can choose to go all out, possessing soldiers, freezing time, moving people in front of bullets, etc. Or you can go for a stealthy route, stopping time to blinking around quickly, moving among high ledges, possessing fish to sneak in a different route. All and all it's not a bad game, but not great, and it's something I got bored with. I still plan on going back and finishing it up as I transition out of Warframe and try and boost my review count, and I think you'd do alright at $10.19 (TBH, that's a little high, $7.50 would be better), but its one of those games that I'd recommend you get only after you get that stuff you really want.

Resident Evil 4 HD - It's been a while since I've seen this one in action, which was back on the Gamecube when it was originally released. Frankly, I'm more a fan of the tradiational RE, like RE2, rather than the more actiony route they went with later on. It's a bit high at only 40% off and $11.99.


Flash Sales

SteamWorld Dig - Reviewed! Absolutely recommend this fun Metroid-meets-Digdug tittle at $2.49.

Castle Story - While it looks like this building strategy game could be interested, it is an early access title, and I shun those. Note that there is a disclaimer for you to read before buying the game (you see why I might be apprehensive about paying for an incomplete game?). It's $13.39.

Fallen Encantress - Another strategy game today. This one is $7.99.

You Need A Budget - Oddly enough, I think I've managed okay with an excel worksheet :) Anyways, it's $14.99.


Community Choice

Dark Souls - Just in case you missed it before, it's back for the same $4.99. I still recommend against it, but at least it's cheap.

Star Wars Battle Front II - Another title that has been up for sale already. It's back for $3.39.

Beat Hazard - A 2D arcade like shooter fueled by your music. I've tried it a couple of times, but never really got into it, and frankly, I can't really recommend it. It's $1.99.

Blockland - Yeah, I thought the picture looked familiar, then I read the description. It's Legos. Also, it's $1.99.


And in case you missed it: Dragon Age Origins Ultimate for $7.49, The Walking Dead for $12.49, Gone Home for $2.99, Mass Effect for $4.99, Mars War Logs for $3.74, Metal Slug 3 for $2.71, How to Survive for $2.24, The Sims 3 for $6.79, Maia for $16.74, Remember Me for $9.89, Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 for $6.59, The King of Fighters XIII for $10.19, Farcry 3 for $7.49, Space  Engineers for $13.39, Grand Theft Auto 4 for $5.99, and Terraria for $1.99.


***

Wow, I did better time wise than I thought I would have, so I managed to come up with something decently long to fill in for each game. Anyways, the winners for today are...not really anything, unless you can catch SteamWorld Dig on the flash sale, in which case you're good. Otherwise the titles I've played that are on that list are 5-6, and while you could get them, you could also play some games that were much better. Sigh. Well, only a few more days left, so let's hope they step it up.

2 comments:

  1. Total War is neat. Europa Universalis is probably even neater if I thought I had sufficient brain power for it.

    You talked me out of Dishonoured a long time back.
    I picked up several more copies of Steamworld Dig to gift to ppl in my quest to ensure everyone plays it.
    The developers should owe me for promoting this game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard there were issues with Rome II, though the rest of the games are supposed to be good. I really should give them a shot one day.

      I'm trying to wrap up several games that I started about a year ago, but got side tracked by another game or lack of interest. That was actually one of the reasons I started this project, to encourage me to make it through everything I've bought. Dishonored is on that list. I'm currently thinking I'll do Reus and Dishonored, that way I alternate between games I stagnated on and some new stuff that should come up during the next sale.

      Clearly I've benefited from your generosity, and the good thing is I agree with your assessment of the game.

      Delete