Sunday, July 21, 2013

Steam Summer Sale 7-21-13

So today is the final day of the Steam Summer Sale of 2013. Everything that's on sale today has already been covered in previous posts, with 7/10 of the games actually being the big game for the day. A quick run down of what we've got in the main sale:

Reviewed:
The Walking Dead, Torchlight 2, Civilization 5

Must Haves:
The Walking Dead, Torchlight 2, Dishonored

Games to Avoid:
Civilization 5

Still too Expesnive/Unfinished
Bioshock Infinite, Kerbal Space Program, Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

What's Left:
Chivalry Medieval Warfare


Little different view of the main sale today. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the titles today expect for Civ 5, and I'm personally not too interested in Chivalry after taking part in a free weekend for it a while back, but that's probably because I've put too much time in the similar War of the Roses. Most of the rest of the games are just too new, lacking a GOTY/complete edition, or are generally a bit too expensive for my taste currently, otherwise I'd jump all over Bioshock, Borderlands 2, and Skyrim in a heartbeat. It'll certainly be interesting to see where those games go cost wise come November and December, when, at the very least, additional sales from the likes of GMG, Gamersgate, and Amazon might put more of a dent in my wallet. Here's the rest of what's on sale right now.


Flash Sales

Just Cause 2 - $2.99

ARMA II - $8.49

Sanctum 2 - $7.49

Sings of a Solar Empire Rebellion - $9.99


Voters' Choice

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - $8.99 Note that the base Far Cry 3 is not on sale for the same discount.

And in case you missed it: over night was all deals we've seen before, such as Dark Souls ($7.49), Terraria ($2.49), Sleeping Dogs ($6.24), Max Payne 3 ($9.99) and FTL ($2.49) overnight; GTA IV ($4.99), Fallout ($4.99), Dead Island Riptide ($19.99), The Cave ($5.09), and Dragon's Lair ($4.99) this afternoon.

*****

So, that wraps up the sale for good. Actually picked up a few more games than I realized, totaling 12 if you count a DLC for a game. What I got: Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, System Shock 2, Poker Night 2,  Dishonored (+ some DLCs I've not included in my count), RAGE DLC, Sang-Froid, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Dark Souls, The Cave, and Fly'N. Total damage: $63.97. And if you combine those 6 cards plus the other 10 or 11 from voting I've still come up two short of a complete set, which is more than just a bit annoying.

What did you get? Final thoughts on the sale? You know, the usual questions I ask so I can bridge the week or so before I get back to actually writing reviews, of which I gave the list of upcoming games out during my last post, but, in case you missed it, you can expect to see the following: Trine 2, Jamestown, Poker Night, Alan Wake, XCOM, and Hotline Miami. After that I need to start playing some more games, though I'm currently working through Sleeping Dogs, Sniper Elite V2, and Shank. For new information, I'm also leaning towards a video review for Frozen Synapse, Trine 2, Shank, Sleeping Dogs, and maybe even Sniper Elite.

Until then, thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. The totals:

    Secret World (gifted to me)
    Tomb Raider (gifted to me)
    Ys 1&2 Chronicles (Me to me)
    Kerbal Space Program (Me to me)
    Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (Me to me)
    Payday (Me to me)

    And purchased to gift
    Witcher 2
    Payday
    Worms Reloaded + DLC
    Just Cause
    Also still have Psychonauts, Stacking, and Penny Arcade games to gift from awhile ago.

    I spend 0 cents, thanks to idiots buying Steam trading cards at absurd prices. :D


    Trine 2 should get an immediate +50 to the review score if you play co-op.

    I'll be curious to see what you think of Hitman, Dishonoured, Dark Souls, Sang Froid, and The Cave. So you got much review bait IMO :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've been thinking. I've asked for suggestions for which game I should play before, but I'm wondering if, rather than just point people towards my Steam library and say go, I could post a list of games I'm interested in, and then let the community decide the order. There aren't necessarily a huge amount of people that post when they visit this site, so this whole thing could backfire in my face, but it's a thought.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea in theory, but in practice I'm not sure it's workable. There isn't enough of a reader comment base that you'd get many opinions.

    I don't pay much attention to how many people comment, but at least from the threads I've commented in there doesn't seem to be many. At best I could see maybe 3-4 people voting, and it could easily fall to one person.

    Still, you could give it a try.

    ReplyDelete