Monday, July 15, 2013

Steam Summer Sale 7-15-13

Well, today is probably my favorite day in the summer sale so far. There are several titles that I know just a bit about, and a lot of good games under $10 that I'll be picking up. Also apparent is the disturbing trend of EA games being listed at $5.99, rather than the usually $4.99. I wonder what they are priced at on Origin right now...

Main Sale

Reus - An interesting take on the whole god game genre, where you actually control the gods that literally shape the world. You have to strike that balance between doing too much and too little, keeping your people alive but not letting them advance to the part that in their hubris they fight the gods. $4.99 today.

Terraria - Reviewed! The awesome 2D sandbox game that combines building, crafting, and RPG elements to make this really cool beast of a game. Highly recommend it if you've got the motivation to create your own story. It returns to it's all time low of $2.49.

Dust An Elysian Tail - So this is one that I'll actually be picking up. The art style is a little weird, and looking at the screen shots for the game on it's store page I'd swear some of the stills are ripped straight from a Disney movie. Still, it's supposedly a really dark game with good platforming elements, though the last few XBLA type games I've played with rave reviews that sound just like that were not all that good. Still, I will get it and suffer or enjoy it as may be, and then let you guys know. It's only 50% off at $7.49 today.

Dawn of War - There are a ton of games for sale here, if only you'll search for them. The original Dawn of War games, the Dawn of War II RPG/RTS version that I loved, and then the return to the RTS with Retribution. Plus, there are all kinds of DLCs if you are into that sort of thing. I would certainly recommend the Dawn of War II games if you like the idea of a RPG/RTS hybrid where you pick 4 units out of 6 and then level them up, give them gear, and slaughter Xenos. Prices varry, with older titles being around $4.99, but Retribution hitting $7.49. Basically, great prices all around.

Castle Crashers - This one has been on sale the last couple of events, though today it seems to have hit a new low price at $3.74.

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion - Space RTS. Certainly a series I've considered in the past, though I'm generally not too good with RTSes. A couple of different options for what to buy this time, since you can either get the game ($9.99), the game and soundtrack ($11.24), or the Stardock Pack ($35.99), which still doesn't include Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity, i.e. the first one.

Wargame - More modern take on an RTS, rather than the SciFi of the above. There are actually two games on sale, European Escalation and Airland Battle. The best idea would be to get both of them together for only $21.99, rather then a separate $9.99 and $19.99.

Dishonored - Alright, waiting has payed off. Now this game is finally in a price range I feel comfortable with, because the $30 or so of the last sale was just a bit too much to risk, though I don't see too much risk in a game where you have tons of playstyle options, from loud and deadly, to silent rat possession assassin. It's only $10.19 today, with a few more bucks for some associated DLC.

Killing Floor - Killing Floor is a team based shooter where you face massive waves of zombie like creatures with different abilities and dangerous qualities. Your goal is to survive these waves. If you make it between rounds you'll have access to a store where you can buy new supplies, weapons, change your class, and so on. It's a good game, but something where there isn't too much of a point in playing it if you aren't doing it with a group of people. Still, I do recommend it because it can be quite fun, and it's only $3.99 for the base game. You can opt for a more complete bundle at $9.99, but that's mostly different characters and stuff.

Max Payne 3 - Well, that wasn't as big of a drop as I was hoping to see between December, when the game was $12.49, and today, when it's $9.99. You can also pick up the first two games for $2.49 each, and several DLCs that, frankly, only appear to impact multiplayer. Probably not much of an incentive to hold off until the next sale, considering the marginal price drop, but it could hit $7.50 later this year, and potentially $5.00 in a year if you really want to wait that time. And gamble that it's still something that would be on sale. So I guess the real question is, do you feel lucky punk? I know, not really the best quote for this, but not too bad either, if I do say myself.

Flash Sales

Unreal - Little bit of a throw back here, particularly since Unreal 2004 now has "CARDS!" The franchise pack is $9.99, which is okay, assuming you've got people to play these games with. The bots in 3 are decent, but not something that will hold your interest too long.

FEAR - $4.99 gets you the action horror game in the form of the 3rd entry into the series. 2 is $3.74 with a $2.49 DLC, and the original is also $2.49. The collection is $13.74, which is actually $0.03 more than the individual games. However, I'm betting with the amount of time it would take to add all 4 to your cart individually, the additional cost is with the time saved.

Crusader Kings II - Massive doesn't seem like it's an appropriate descriptor for this game, one in which you are involved in all kinds of political plots that span a continent. It's $9.99 for the game, but $19.99 for the collection. It does have a demo, which would be great to help determine if this type of strategy game is, in fact, for you.

Primal Carnage - I have to forgo this game just because it's a multiplayer shooter, but don't think for a minute that I'm not tempted as hell, because, well, dinosaurs! It's $5.09 with several pieces of DLC available.

Voters' Choice

Deus Ex - It's only $2.99, and you don't have this game yet. Well, don't get this, spend $5.99 and get the whole series to see why choice it such a big deal.

*****

And, in case you missed it: Trine 2 Complete Story ($3.99), Mass Effect 2 ($5.99), The Testatment of Sherlock Holmes ($9.99), PES 2013 ($13.59), and Left 4 Dead ($4.99) where the overnight sales; and Mirror's Edge ($5.99), Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II ($3.99), Bioshock Infinite ($29.99), Organ Trail ($1.24), and Natural Selection II ($6.24) this afternoon.

*****

Alright, certainly the best day of the sale so far.  I'm picking up Dishonored, and maybe a DLC or two, without thinking about it. Dust will probably drop lower in the next sale, as will Max Payne, Reus, and Wargame, which, considering Thanksgiving is only 4 and a half months away, I think I can afford to wait. Though both Dust and Reus would be the ones I'd most want to pick up sooner. We'll see, since I still have (almost) 48 hours to decide before the deals go away.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about Dust, and Dishonored seems good but I can wait on it since it'll be god knows how many years until I get around to playing it. Crusader Kings sound spectacular.... but also very hard to get into, and I just don't have the time for something like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could have held off on Dishonored myself, but I do actually try and get, and also hopefully play, games that will be part of the next major sale so I don't look like too much of an idiot when I do these.

      I also realize that the lowest Dust would probably ever go is 75% off, which means I'm saving $3.74 or so. Still, I'm frugal enough that saving those few bucks at the cost of 4-5 months seems reasonable to me.

      Delete