Friday, January 4, 2013

Steam Holiday Sale 1 - 4

So tomorrow is the last day of the sale. I'm curious what we'll see. Traditionally the last day has been reserved for the top sellers, but that was before the introduction of things like flash sales and the community choice, which allow the same game to come up 3 or more times during the course of the sale. Maybe it'll be all new titles. Anything in particular you're hoping for tomorrow?

Main Sale

Forge - Forge is one of a number of recently greenlit games that have received special attention during this sale. It's a hybrid MMO and FPS set in a fantasy universe. Personally, I've sworn off anything that has a hint of MMO in it, but at least this one isn't a subscription, and it claims it's not pay to win either. $9.99 today.

Trine Franchise - I've only played the first Trine, which I got way back in '09 for the full price of $20. It was worth it. A platformer with three classes, each with their own special abilities, that you can switch on demand to solve the puzzle at hand. Personally, I always liked the The if for her grappling hook and bow and arrow, but the Wizard's ability to summon in objects like platforms or blocks to build bridges across gaps was welcome too. Definitely a unique title, one you should certainly get for the $8.74 it takes to pick up the entire franchise.

Sleeping Dogs - Tried the demo of this one out not too long ago, and I'm pretty sure I missed a great deal on it on GMG. Still, I'm not entirely sure about this game. It has that GTA type feel to it, combined with highly destructible environments and martial arts. In one event I was raiding a warehouse that belonged to a rival gang. Therein, I was involved with a bit of hand to hand combat, where I kicked a guy towards a wall...directly into a power junction box. The hand to hand and movement portions of the game felt fine, but the gunplay was a little clunky. Personally, I'm waiting for some kind of complete edition around the same $16.99 it is today, because I don't want to sort through the 31 pieces of DLC (that cost $24.15 when you total them all up individually) to figure out what I want and what is just useless. If you are set on this, I might advise getting the Dragon Master Pack, since that includes 5 DLCs for about half of what it would be to get them individually.

Amnesia - Reviewed! Great game. First person survival horror game. Nasty enemies. No weapons. You must work your way through the castle while hiding in the dark, solving puzzles, and trying not to get slashed up, or go insane. I highly recommend this game, especially since it's only $4.99. Man, I wish I already had a video review of this one to link.

Rage - Bought this game this time last year for $15. Now it's a third of that, which puts it at less than 10% of the original price. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but it always looked like it's a blend of Fallout 3 and Borderlands. What's worth noting is that you might want to pick up the recently released DLC, which besides from being a year late, adds the ability to go back to your game once you finish the final quest. I guess the base game just locks you out once you get to that point, a la Fallout 3 before a DLC enabled you to go back as well. Sadly, that DLC isn't marked down, and it'll cost you the same $4.99 the base game does.

Crysis - The original Crysis and Warhead are both $4.99 each. If you want to go for the much decried Crysis 2, well that's $9.99. Or you could get a big bundle of all of them for $17.49.


Flash Sales:
Left 4 Dead Franchise - $7.49
Symphony - $3.39
Ace of Spades - $4.99
Bioshock Collection - $9.99
Babel Rising - $4.99
Evochron Mercenary - $6.24

Community Choice:
Max Payne 3 - $14.99 (discount doesn't apply to DLCs)

1 comment: